Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Shopping

I don't do a whole lot of Christmas shopping. The wife and I have tried to minimize the amount of gift giving we have to do, by rationally discussing it with middle aged siblings ("Seriously, why am I trying to figure out a gift for you?") and teaching the children that it is better to give than receive ("Seriously, why am I trying to figure out a gift for you?") and inventing something precious for everyone else: the gift of time and space.

What is that?

Well, it can be identified best by saying what it is not. It is not anything to open, or eat, or put on a shelf, or figure out how to get rid of. It is not anything that deserves a thank you note. It is time and space, and I am pleased to give it to you.

You're welcome.

That said, I just spent some time this morning Christmas shopping. It was nice, actually. Early on a Wednesday morning several weeks before Christmas. No crowds, calm salespeople, no traffic. Oh yeah, everyone else was working. Sorry folks. I'm just lucky that way.

Went to Toys R Us for the nieces and Staples for the daughter and Home Depot for the son, then I went to the library to check out a few slasher flicks for my own enjoyment. When I got home it became apparent that several people had been forgotten, most notably children who might just be saddened by my lack of caring.

I've got a couple of weeks left. I'll see what I can do. But seriously, I really don't like Christmas shopping.

Ho ho ho.

mattbaxx: something to read

rock 'n roll haiku

No comments:

Post a Comment